Thursday, January 10, 2013

A Conversation With Kelvin Jackson

       Not one novel you pick up will ever be the same that is a fact and is easy for me to say simply because no author you stumble upon is the same. The writing, the thoughts, the pen known as the paint brush and words known as the paint are birthed from individuals from different walks of life whose mission is to tell their stories in ways that were never told. Now meet an artist in urban fiction and learn about his journey, Kelvin Jackson.



My Urban Books: As a kid did you write stories, poetry, or comics?

Kelvin Jackson: According to others I’ve always had a way with words. I actually used to draw a lot of comics so creativity has always been around to some extent.

My Urban Books: When you were a teenager what were your thoughts on urban fiction?

Kelvin Jackson: I never read a book until I was 21 and incarcerated and that book was Whoreson by the legendary originator of urban fiction Donald Goines

My Urban Books: What made you use your real name and not a pen name?

Kelvin Jackson: I used my real name instead of a pen name due to all the negativity that was originally tied to it, I wanted my family especially my mother to see it connected to something somewhat prestigious and positive.

My Urban Books: Your titles are very original for example Look What You Made Me Do and I Won’t Tell Your Secrets, how did you come up with them?

Kelvin Jackson: Not that original, I won’t tell you secrets(Alicia keys) Look What you Made Me Do (a one liner from biggie and jay-z) As well as It was all a Dream (Biggie opening line in Juicy).

My Urban Books: When writing what is your goal?

Kelvin Jackson: When I write I try to paint pictures with words rather than tell a story. I also try in the best of my ability to add a lesson or touch a life with the spark to make one think wow…what if? Or...man I never thought about it like that. Just something that will make a reader comes back for more.

My Urban Books: Some of your books are $0.99 what made you go with that price?

Kelvin Jackson: The .99 cent price thing started as a way to generate interest and make people want to give my work a shot. This was also prior to the mass amount of groups that there is now where you could promote your work to generate interest.

My Urban Books: What novel are you currently working on? Do you have a name?

Kelvin Jackson: I am actually working on LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO 3 and I WON’T TELL YOUR SECRETS 3both set for early 2013 releases.

My Urban Books: Do you write what you want or what you believe the public will like?

Kelvin Jackson: I believe is a combination of both. I’m still learning my craft though and it’s always changing.

My Urban Books: What do you believe is the most important thing authors should concentrate on when writing and publishing their work?

Kelvin Jackson: For me being an avid reader in my later years it has to be telling a good story. Content, content, content is my mantra. Get feedback from someone other than your yes people and be open to the criticism. In other words don’t go running in front of the bus.

My Urban Books: What advice would you give aspiring authors?

Kelvin Jackson: I would tell an aspiring author to write, write, write! There is no longevity in this business if you are not willing to put in the necessary work.

No comments:

Post a Comment