Sunday, January 6, 2013

A Conversation with Brenda Stokes Lee


           Brenda Stokes Lee: My style of writing can only be classified as a shock and awe. My characters, story-lines and plots all have one common goal and that is to make you feel something- anything! My books will have you on an emotional roller coaster ride that will leave your jaw open and your head spinning. You will laugh, cry, curse, scream and get angry when you read one of my books. I don't write straight lace, boy meets girl and live happily ever after romance. Life is messy, it doesn't matter if it's fiction or nonfiction, no one has a perfect, flawless romance and certainly not in my books. I'm a storyteller and my job is to tell the story even if it isn't pretty.

            Need I saw more? This one answer alone by Brenda Stokes Lee should tell you this interview is worth the read, Ladies and gentleman, a conversation with Brenda Stokes Lee.

My Urban Books: Growing up what were you self-conscience about?

Brenda Stokes Lee: I was so self-conscience of my weight. I was extraordinarily skinny. When I had my son I weighed 104 lbs. on my delivery day. I have to laugh about it now, but when I was younger all I wanted was a pair of boots that fit my legs. My legs were so skinny that they never filled out the legs of my boots. When I wore boots my leg looked like a stem inside of a bell. Needless to say, I don't have that problem anymore, age and laziness took care of that.

My Urban Books: As a child what were your feelings towards books?

Brenda Stokes Lee: My mother was an avid reader. She'd read at least two 700 page historical romance novels a week. I developed my love for romance books from her. At the age of twelve I'd sneak to my secret hiding spot (inside my closet) and read her discarded romance novels for hours.

My Urban Books: How would you describe your style of writing?

Brenda Stokes Lee: My style of writing can only be classified as a shock and awe. My characters, story-lines and plots all have one common goal and that is to make you feel something- anything! My books will have you on an emotional roller coaster ride that will leave your jaw open and your head spinning. You will laugh, cry, curse, scream and get angry when you read one of my books. I don't write straight lace, boy meets girl and live happily ever after romance. Life is messy, it doesn't matter if it's fiction or nonfiction, no one has a perfect, flawless romance and certainly not in my books. I'm a storyteller and my job is to tell the story even if it isn't pretty.

My Urban Books: Have you ever written a street lit novel? If so tell us a little about it.

Brenda Stokes Lee: Thus far, I have not written a street lit novel. However I plan to write a non-fiction account (based on a true story) of a murder/mystery that would be classified as street lit. I'm not sure when, because the storyline is quite heavy and I'm enjoying the lighter side of writing right now.

My Urban Books: What artist inspires you to write?

Brenda Stokes Lee: Ernest Hemingway’s writing inspired me and allowed me to believe that I could be a writer. My stories are 90% dialogue. Hemingway’s work taught me that you can effectively tell a good story with the intricate use of strong dialogue.

My Urban Books: What was the worst time for you to write but you still put pen to paper?

Brenda Stokes Lee: I guess I have to say it was in the month of November 2012. That month I had two, not one family incidents that shook me deeply. A cousin of mine was found dead from Sleep Apnea in her apartment. She had been dead four days before they found her decomposed body. Later that month two of my cousins were almost murdered in a house that was sprayed with over 120 bullets. One cousin was unharmed, while the other was shot in the leg. It was a miracle they were not killed. Unfortunately, two of their very close friends died in that house that night. As fate would have it I had a deadline to publish my last novel, Escape to Paris with Love, that was closing in on me. Actually the writing was a welcome escape. It allowed me to be able to move pass the tragedy and move on with life.

My Urban Books: What future release can we look forward to reading from you?

Brenda Stokes Lee: I have a ton of stuff planned for 2013. My next novel will be available for sale on 01.31.13. It's called Georgia on My Mind. This is a standalone novel that centers around a BBB, Big, Bold and Beautiful woman who finds an unexpected love at a low point in her life. Just so you know, dreams come true for us Big Girls too! Then I will release my final installment of The Naked Truth about Love series. It will be called, Love Never Fails and should drop in February 2013.

My Urban Books: During your writing career what incident forced you to develop thick skin?

Brenda Stokes Lee: I'm still a baby writer so my skin is still a little tender. I guess what has challenged me to develop thicker skin is the surge of mean spirited authors who like to trash books by writing fake reviews. I must say I was shocked that people are so hateful, idiotic and mean. I'll admit that I'm an ice skater who loves to skate up hill, so my books go against every rule of a conventional romance novel. So what! I don't write conventional romance. Get over it! People have different tastes and enjoy being entertained in different ways! Do what works for you and leave me and mine alone! Trashing the work of others is counterproductive. Work harder, step up your game, improve your craft, stretch yourself to create a better product and you will find that you don't have time to leave lame reviews on good books. The readers are too savvy to fall for that nonsense anyway! Like I said, I'm still working on toughing my skin.

My Urban Books: Out of all the characters you ever created who is your favorite and why?

Brenda Stokes Lee: I snickered when you asked me that question. I love all of my characters and I'm not just saying it. Still, if I had to pick one then I'd have to say Teddy Bear Davine from the Naked Truth about Love series. Teddy Bear is a sexy, larger than life, charismatic, single millionaire that lives life by his own terms. Yes, he's a whore-monger, but he keeps it 100% real. He doesn't promise a woman anything except a real good time. He treats them with respect and dignity and he doesn't play games. And wow, does that man know how to bring the heat! If you don't know what I'm talking about read the Pleasure Principle and you'll soon find out.

My Urban Books: What is your motto concerning writing?

Brenda Stokes Lee: My motto is simple; I refuse to let the truth come between me and a good story! The beauty of writing fiction is that you get to embellish the details, fantasize, colorize the truth, stretch the imagination, create new worlds and even create new words. I absolutely love it! I love writing as much or more than an avid reader loves reading. Word of warning, don't tell me your secrets because I will stretch it, mold it, color it and transform it into a story you'd never recognize. I'm not a liar by nature, but when it comes to a good story the truth is irrelevant!

My Urban Books: What advice would you give aspiring authors?

Brenda Stokes Lee: The best advice that I can give an aspiring writer is to stop aspiring to write and simply write. A good writer writes every day, so write. It doesn't really matter what you write or how long you write, simply write. Fall in love with words, romance them and learn to caress them as they flow to your page. The best way to do this is to read. Read the classics, read the best and read from a dictionary and a thesaurus every now and then.

No comments:

Post a Comment