Thursday, October 14, 2021

A Conversation with Aaliyah Choyce

Life is the best possible inspiration for all artist to latch on to and create worlds run wild by the minds whose choice of tools involves either the pen, paintbrush, lump of clay, or spray paint. It plants seeds that grows and hugs the earth for eternity. Growth in a person are guided by past novels and helps that person in becoming the mastermind of storytelling, the new generation of authors which includes Aaliyah Choyce. 

1) My Urban Books: As a child, what was your favorite book and why?


Aaliyah: Wow! That's a tough one. I've always been an avid reader. I was a reader long before I was a writer. Reading was my solace. Dealing with social anxiety, I often used it to escape my reality. The characters became the friends I couldn't make in the real world, so there's several books that are easily childhood favorites: "Amelia Bedelia," any "Harry Potter," "Chronicles of Narnia," and numerous folk stories like "Anasi the Spider." As a teen, I loved the Jericho trilogy by Sharon M. Draper and "The Skin I'm In" by Sharon G. Flake has always stuck with me.

 

 

2) My Urban Books: What is the earliest memory you have about writing?


Aaliyah: Handmaking magazines in the first grade. I started selling them in the second and third grade to friends at school. I've always been a hustler in that way. I get it from my Momma [smiles]. They weren't anything special. Terrible illustrations. Bad handwriting. I'm not even sure I had much of anything to say other than reiterating things going on at elementary school. But that's where it started. And people bought them with their lunch money for cents. Not sure why I remember that. I guess I felt seen.
 

 


3) My Urban Books: Was there anything you had to sacrifice in order to be an author?


Aaliyah: I think the most important sacrifice I've made for this is my time. Dedicating time to your craft is a big commitment. I want to be better. I want to get better every time I write. Being a full time student and working full time, finding time is hard. I didn't get that when I started, hence the hiatus after my first novel, but I've been working on it.



4)My Urban Books:  Was there anything you underestimated about writing? if so, what made you see things differently?


Aaliyah: I underestimated plenty of things. Haha. I started writing in the first grade. The only thing I knew about writing was to pick up a writing tool and just do it. It's not that simple. Writing my first adult novel with the intent of publishing really opened my eyes to how important the quality of your writing is. Do you stay true to the authenticity of the characters and their stories? Does your tone match what's happening? It's not just writing; it's creating an experience for the reader. It's giving them your best every time you put something out. 

 

 

5) My Urban Books: Who’s your inspiration?


Aaliyah: Black people. I feel like nothing more needs to be said, but to make it clear: Black people are not a monolith. We're beautiful in all ways. Our resilience, our style, our intellect, our mindset, our history, our futures. I can't help but to be inspired by us. We're inspirational. 


6) My Urban Books: Why do you write in the genre you write?


Aaliyah: I was 16 years old when I started my debut novel "Ride." I had stolen my mom's adult urban fiction novels for reading material for years at that point. I had read everything else in the house and my school's library. I decided I wanted to see if I could give it a try. I felt that I could relate the most given my upbringing. Life happened and I grew up faster than some, so I outgrew the childlike stories. I figured maybe I could even bring something new to the table.

7) My Urban Books: What’s harder for you to write, a novel or synopsis?


Aaliyah: Definitely a synopsis! I think when writing a novel, you have space to say everything you need to say. However, a synopsis is a snapshot of your novel. It has to capture the best parts without giving away too much of the storylines. That's a lot of pressure, but I love the challenge.


8) My Urban Books: What about being an author is glamorous in your opinion?


Aaliyah: Glamorous [thinking]. I don't know if I've ever thought of being an author as glamorous. I started in poetry as a way to express my deepest thoughts and feelings. Then I began to write to tell the stories of others and inspire people to think on the tough matters in life. If I had to attribute anything to "glamour," I'd say the glamorous aspect of being an author is the perspectives your writing can give to others. If something I write can transform the mindset of just one of my readers, then I feel accomplished.


9)My Urban Books: Please give aspiring authors one piece of advice.


Aaliyah: Write with intention. I think when you're passionate about what you're writing and have a plan for it, you're more driven to see it through and your intention comes through to make an impact.

10) My Urban Books: Please tell readers where they can find your work.


Aaliyah: You can find my work on Amazon. My freshman and Sophmore releases are there in paperback and ebook. I'm gearing up for the release of the sequel to my freshman novel, so be on the lookout for that January 2022.

No comments:

Post a Comment