Monday, April 23, 2018

A Conversation with Rhea Alexis Banks



Books bring together a world of people from different walks of life all made possible from the pages of a book. Pieces of paper are what results in an author gaining or losing a reader, entertaining their market and flushing out thoughts crammed inside their cranium in need of an out. The world has a chance at reading, capturing and understanding the thoughts of a writer, but what about the reader? What are the readers thoughts pertaining literature and when do they get a chance to spill their guts?


In search of answers I ventured out and contacted book lovers, I’ll pick their brains and give them a chance like authors, to write down on paper their thoughts. Rhea Alexis Banks, the floor is yours.


  1. My Urban Books: Tell us about a time when reading has helped you during a difficult time in your life.  
Rhea Alexis: The help I have derived from novels thus stories is escapism.  During times of trouble and/or strife for me, I can remove myself for a while by diving into a story.

  1. My Urban Books: Where do you see literature in five years?
Rhea Alexis: I don’t see much change from many activities of today within the next 5 years.  I don’t see no more paperbacks, this will be a great injustice to readers.  If this by chance comes to pass, I will no longer be purchasing books. I probably have a library that would last my lifetime at this point anyway.   I don’t read ebooks by preference, there are several series and authors that I have ardently followed that I no longer do so because they only publish ebooks, this still hurts at times. 
I can see the ending of brick and mortar book stores however, not internet ones.  I would still attend events of/featuring some of my favorite authors.

3           3.  My Urban Books: What do you believe best describes how an author’s mind works?

Rhea Alexis: The author’s mind is creative, full with a huge imagination, filled with what ifs.  I am in awe of many of them.  

  1. My Urban Books: What is the hardest book you've      read and what made it so difficult?
Rhea Alexis: The hardest book that I attempted to read (I stopped, it gave me headaches) was Push by Sapphire.  The language/verbiage made it difficult for me.  I am a story driven reader and when I have to “fight” to get the story I become frustrated and/or lose interest.

  1. My Urban Books: Is there anything you ever wanted to ask an author? If so what is it?
Rhea Alexis: Not that hasn’t already be answered.  I have close relationships with numerous authors so I have gotten all my questions answered. When a question comes up, I ask via phone, email or Facebook.

  1. My Urban Books: What is your definition of fiction?
Rhea Alexis: My definition of fiction is stories/things that are made up from one’s imagination.

  1. My Urban Books: How has your reading grown? 
       Rhea Alexis: My reading has grown by me reading any genre except horror.  I am open to experience it all, except horror.  I don’t read more books than I have in the pass however, my numbers are increasing.

   8.     My Urban Books: What would you never want to know about your favorite author? 

        Rhea Alexis: Negative views of readers for the most parts. 

  1. My Urban Books: What is your favorite type of character and why?
Rhea Alexis: My favorite type of character is one that is relatable, thus “every day people.” When characters are relatable it is much easier to see the story and I love stories that I can see as I read. 
  1. My Urban Books: How important is having free access to books for you? Ex: libraries.
Rhea Alexis: I don’t use them as much. I have a full home library however they are very important to people that regularly use them because everyone should have access to read.

11. My Urban Books:As a child, how were your reading habits?


Rhea Alexis: I read when I had books available to me.  I would devour all that I could read even when it’s beyond my years.
  1. My Urban Books: If you could talk to a fellow reader born twenty years from now what would you tell them?
Rhea Alexis: Enjoy and share what you like, learn and have read.


No comments:

Post a Comment