Sunday, June 23, 2013

My Urban Books Reader of the Week Qiana Drennan.


Good readers are hard to come by but My Urban Books went on a hunt for some of the best bookworms the literary world has to offer and the first one we came across is Qiana Drennan. So pull up a seat and read why Ms.Drennan is the reader every author should want to pick up their novel.
My Urban Books: When did your reading journey begin?
Qiana Drennan: My reading journey began back in the 5th grade. My teacher Mrs. Kass would sit us down on the carpet to read to us for an half an hour daily. One day she chose to read a book by Mildred D. Taylor called "Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry." I fell in LOVE with the story and wanted to hear more. So that next day it was library day for our class and I asked Miss. Kass to help me find that book and she not only showed me ROTHMC but the entire series and that is when my love for reading was born.
My Urban Books: What do you think about bookstores closing down? Has any closed down in your area?
Qiana Drennan: I think it’s sad because not everyone is electronically inclined. Or can even afford an e-reader so it’s a disadvantage for some. We have one local bookstore in my area but it’s across town. I do support but since the price of gas has went up it is now cheaper for me to just order from amazon.
My Urban Books: Do you read various genres? And if so why?
Qiana Drennan: Yes. Mark Twain said “An open mind leaves a chance for someone to drop a worthwhile thought in it.” So I try to not limit myself on what I read.
My Urban Books: How has reading changed your life?
Qiana Drennan: Reading has changed my life because most books contain real life situations that I can relate to. I often think about the outcome from a book that I’ve read when the situation is relevant.
My Urban Books: What book has touched your heart?
Qiana Drennan: Bianca: Tell us who did this to you by E. Williams. It’s a very touching story of the life journey of a girl brought up in the Pentecostal Church.
My Urban Books: How do you support authors?
Qiana Drennan: By purchasing their books, advertising on my book club page, word of mouth, and by doing interviews in my book club so other readers can learn about them.
My Urban Books: In your opinion how does self-publish authors novels differ authors who are published with a company?
Qiana Drennan: The biggest difference is the editing. Most self-published books have a lot of mistakes in them. However I will say that self-published authors put more into promoting and reaching out to readers.
My Urban Books: How can the literary world become better?
Qiana Drennan: By authors coming together to help each other. Lately there has been a lot of “Author beef” that is really making the industry look bad. I think that if everyone realizes that everyone has their time to shine and be happy when it’s someone else’s turn things will be better.
My Urban Books: Five years from now do you see yourself reading the same books that you are reading today?
Qiana Drennan: Yes, but I also see myself reading books written and published by myself.
My Urban Books: If books stopped being created and you no longer had access to the books you own what hobby do you see yourself picking up?
Qiana Drennan: I would design earrings. I’m a huge earring junkie, the bigger the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment