Thursday, December 27, 2012

A Conversation With Kwame Teague


         I have two words for you, Dutch and Dynasty.  These two novels are urban fictions deadly D’s because they killed the genre with their catchy storylines and entertaining characters all while bumping the genre up a notch which resulted in the writing game never being the same. Writing is far from easy but Kwame Teague makes it look like a walk in the park when he pens his novels. So who is Kwame Teague? The person responsible for getting readers hooked to his novels? Continue reading and find out.

My Urban Books: How was life as a child? What have you done as a kid that you still do today?

Kwame Teague: Life as a child was pretty unremarkable. I was fortunate enough to have both parents. I remember spending all my time wishing I was grown and I still do the same wishing, except now it’s that I wish I was a kid.

My Urban Books: Growing up what did you want to be?

Kwame Teague: Alive! Even though I had a secure household, growing up in Newark in the 80’s made you think about death a lot, the good side is it made you take more risks, good and bad; it’s the hood twist on Plato’s unexamined life.

My Urban Books: What do you hope to change in urban fiction?

Kwame Teague: I don’t know, I wouldn’t say change, I guess leave my mark would be a better way of putting it. But what I want to leave my mark on is the structure of urban fiction. We as a whole should be on top of the world, we being me, Teri Woods, Wahida Clark, Al-Saadiq Banks and DC Bookdiva. We should’ve come together, pooled our resources and put our money behind one book and made it into a movie. That would’ve got the ball rolling for everyone. But we missed the opportunity. Will it come again? The bigger question is would we come together if it did?

My Urban Books: Is there a character you wish to revamp?

Kwame Teague: No.

My Urban Books: Who was the first to read Dynasty and what did they have to say about it?

Kwame Teague: DC Bookdiva! She was so happy…on the real she loved it!

My Urban Books: In three words describe Kwame Teague and in three words describe Dutch.

Kwame Teague: Kwame…too fuckin arrogant! Dutch…just a thought.

My Urban Books: What is a bad habit of yours once it comes to writing?

Kwame Teague: My bad habit is I don’t do rewrites, I should but I don’t. I freelance every book, it feels more authentic that way.

My Urban Books: Dynasty 3 will be releasing soon, care to tell me what we can expect and who will bring the drama?

Kwame Teague: As for Dynasty 3, expect fire! I take you into Tito’s life as a back story, bring in a new character and eliminate old ones.

My Urban Books: If you could build a team of the best urban fiction characters of all time who would they be?

Kwame Teague: They wouldn’t be characters, they would be writers! Al-Saadiq Banks, that’s my man, Wahida Clark, K’Wan, Shannon Holmes and my brother Eyone!

My Urban Books: Do you have an idea for a future release after Dynasty 3? If so do you have a title?

Kwame Teague: Yeah, a future release called, me…Free Kwame Teague! I’m not working on a book, I’m working on developing a network of  incarcerated brothers and sisters across the country who is tired of being the problem and are ready to be the solution. We will bring together our ideas, resources and talent in order to come up with solutions to uplift and empower our community. If you have a loved one incarcerated and you think they’d be interested get at me through my Facebook page.

My Urban Books: Have you ever considered writing an e-book series?

Kwame Teague: Yes.

My Urban Books: What advice would you give aspiring authors?

Kwame Teague: For aspiring anybody the mind is powerful…think and always stay true to your beliefs, work hard, never give up on your dreams and you will be heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment