Friday, March 9, 2012

A Conversation with Miasha

          Welcome to the world of  urban lit where secrets can be deadly and when the heart is involved common sense is thrown out the window. A world which is cold and shady and no one is who they seem to be. Where money talks and revenge is in everyone ones DNA. Where there's more tears than smiles and drama is around every corner. Welcome and take a ride down Miasha Avenue, author of Secret Society, Never Enough, Til Death, Diary of a Mistress, Chaser, Sistah for Sale, When the Cake is Made, Mommies Angel, and The Return of Chatman and find out why her books keeps bookstores in business.

Brandie: Tell us, how has writing improved your life?

Miasha: From the beginning, writing has given me a sense of freedom and a way to cope with life issues. That in itself has improved my life considering, many people turn to drugs and alcohol in times of duress and emptiness. Writing was my escape. And even now, it has offered me the opportunity to escape.
Brandie: Who is your hero or shero?

Miasha: I have a few. My grandmother, who is now deceased, would have to be my first shero. My aunt is my second, my husband and sons are tied for third and a host of severely inspirational women and men to follow includes Maya Angelou, Omar Tyree, Karen E. Quinones Miller, Oprah Winfrey and Jay-Z to name a few.

Brandie: If you weren't writing what would you be doing?

Miasha: Well I planned to find a job in Advertising Copy writing post-college so maybe I'd be in a cubicle at a large Advertising firm penning copy for some famous brands. But that's writing isn't it? Well what can I say, writing is my passion so I have to guess that's what I'd be doing regardless if I were a published author or not.

Brandie: Secret Society is what I call an original jaw dropper, so tell us how did you come up with it's theme?

Miasha: Thank you. I will say, I love that book and I am so glad it was my first. The theme came about after I wrote the first page. It was a description of some very hard consequences that made me ask myself the question, "What would make a man do this to a woman?" Then like magic, the concept popped into my head. I had to run with it. It was just too good.

Brandie: Was it hard for you to kill off Tina? Because I have to be honest I still can't believe you killed her lol.

Miasha: You know what, I can't believe I kill many of my characters. I'm good for that -unfortunately. But for some reason it's not hard- or at least no until after it;s already done. I just let my fingers roam across the keyboard and whatever happens, happens. The stories ten to take on lives of their ow. I'm just the vehicle to get them out.

Brandie: Which one of you novels have you noticed fans give the most love too?

Miasha: Diary of a Mistress. Although I am very fortunate to have a strong, consistent fan base who have shown mt so much love from my first book to my latest.

Brandie: What characteristic must each of your characters possess?

Miasha: I can't say that's something I've ever really given thought to. But one thing about my characters that I've been told makes them lovable and relate able is that they are complex. They aren't just one thing or another. They are a mix of emotions, behaviors, and attitudes, thus making them realistic.

Brandie: Is there anything you will like to change about your writing style?

Miasha: I would like to write longer stories. Or maybe not. Because truthfully I get bored quickly and drawn out stories ten to turn me away. However, I know avid readers love them a thick book. So for the sake of my fans I would like to tackle that's at least once.

Brandie: What novel can we expect from you next? Do you have a name picked out?

Miasha: I'm working on one of the sequels to When the Cake is Made. It's titled Devil's Food and it will be Leslie's story following When the Cake is Made.

Brandie: What advice would you give aspiring authors?

Miasha: Do your research, be the best at what you do, do not take no for an answer, and ultimately, don't dream your life, live your dreams! 

Brandie: Yall got that?

No comments:

Post a Comment