Wednesday, November 9, 2011

A Conversation with Miss.KP

       Add one cup of a cheater, two tea spoons of a selfish man, one ounce of an abuser, a pound of kids, and a pinch of a woman fed up and you have yourself a dirty divorce. Miss. KP cooked up a jaw dropping, drama filled, shaking your head because you can't believe what you just read series called the Dirty Divorce. Coming into the game with her first novel The Dirty Divorce Miss.KP kicked the door down and made sure everyone would know her name. So of course I reached out to the woman who was making all this ruckus for an interview.

Brandie: Miss.KP what made you decide to write urban fiction?

Miss.KP:  I was inspired by Sister Souljah's The Coldest Winter Ever and I felt I would touch my people through literature. So many people would never pick up a book, so I felt I could touch them through literature that is relatable. And once I got their attention have them think about the characters choices and what they could've done to have a different outcome. 

Brandie: How long did it take you to write The Dirty Divorce series?

Miss. KP: The series took me a full year with each book taking me around four months.

Brandie: Whats was the hardest and easiest thing about writing the series?

Miss. KP: Nothing was really easy about writing the series because I am very hard on myself and have a competitive spirit. The pressure of keeping each book as good or better than the first was the hardest. I never want to wait any ones time, so I really try hard to produce the best product as possible.

Brandie: I'm sure a lot of people are wondering, why did you decide bring Juan back and not Carlos?

Miss. KP: I felt more readers related to Juan. Women love their sons and that was the character readers were saddest about dying.

Brandie: When you see someone carrying your book what runs through your mind?

Miss.KP: It's surreal. So often I have people call me and say someone didn't believe they knew me when they saw them reading my book. So they'd have them call me to prove it. It's all a blessing and I thank God everyday for this opportunity to live out my dream of being a writer.

Brandie: If you could collaborate with any author who would it be and why?

Miss.KP: Steve Harvey. I have a lot of opinions that I would like to address from a woman's perspective.

Brandie: What was the best advise you ever received pertaining to writing?

Miss.KP: Be a student and learn. My editor brings out the best in me. I don't get so attached to my work that I can't make changes or listen to other ideas that will make my craft even better.

Me: Besides your own novels, what is your favorite urban fiction book?

Miss.KP: I love books by my LCB (Life Changing Books) family. One Night Stand by Kendall Banks, The Available Wife by Carla Pennington, and True to the Game by Teri Woods is a favorite as well.

Brandie: I hear your next novel to be released is Paparazzi. What will this novel be about, what characters can we look forward to meeting, and will it be a series?

Miss.KP: This is a work in progress but will definitely be a series. Kennedi is the main character and is full of drama. Her determination o be on top gets her caught up with all types of chaos. The streets are always watching and once you make it to the top, it's no telling how a buried past can destroy your future. Kennedi has a lot going on and I feel this will be another one the readers will love!

Brandie: Now my famous question, What advice would you give inspiring authors?

Miss.KP: Never give up and no matter how many doors close in your face the right door will open. Remember God gives you opportunities not man. What's for you, is for you.

Brandie: I could not have said it better myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment